In 1980 the Towns of Cottesloe, Claremont, Mosman Park and the Shire of Peppermint Grove established an aged support service known as Cottesloe Aged Persons Trust. By 1981 the Combined Councils removed from the group and a new service was developed, The Aged Persons Support Service (Inc) (also known as TAPSS).
The Aged Persons Support Service has changed a number of times over the years to meet the needs of its clients and the demands of its funding bodies; the Combined Councils and the Health Department HACC programme. In 1984 TAPSS was primarily a volunteer organisation and it was not until 1986 that it engaged its first employee, a part time Home Visit Coordinator.
In 1992 staff numbers increased as a result of HACC funding for a Day Centre and improved services. The extension of the existing building was built in 2000.
In 2003 the Combined Council Committee conducted a critical review of The Aged Persons Support Service that led to change. These changes focused on positive ageing. In 2005 there was a change management plan put in place.
In 2006 The Aged Persons Support Service (Inc) changed its name to TAPSS Community Care (Inc) to give a more contemporary feel, and to reflect that clients include adults of any age with a disability.
In 2013 long-standing accountant, Christine Hastie, commenced as Manager.
In 2014 the trading name was changed to SHINE Community Services to better reflect the desire to help people, regardless of age or disability; to encourage people to be their best, as part of our community; to thrive and be happiest and most fulfilled they can be – to SHINE!
SHINE Community Services is committed to providing ongoing, outstanding support to our community.
The original building was the Cottesloe Post Office and Telephone Exchange, and the building is of Victorian, Georgian style.
Tender for construction was called on the 15th October 1897 and the tender for 1,190 pounds and nineteen shillings, (approx.$2380), was let to Leggo and Claque on 25th November 1897 for completion by 25th April 1898, (5months).
In the 19th century to the late 1960’s there was a strong relationship between Post Offices and Railways, and that is why this building is located so close to the railway.
Cottesloe Post Office and Telephone exchange was the first in the area and only the third in the metropolitan area. It was the first linesman depot to be based at a telephone exchange. In 1906 a shed and stable were added to the rear for the linesman’s horses.
In 1930 Cottesloe telephone exchange became automatic and was only the second automatic exchange in Western Australia. On the 16th May 1964 the Telephone Exchange was closed for public business, and the former Post Office telephone exchange became a linesman depot.
The building was sold in 1982 to the Town of Cottesloe and in 1984 was converted for community use.
The building was renovated in 1985 to be used by TAPSS and a child health clinic. Much of the internal fabric of the building was removed so some of the heritage value was lost; however some internal walls, ceilings and fireplaces still appear in their original state.